Returning Resident

Returning Resident Registration and Application Process

Who is Eligible?
In order to be considered a Returning Resident, and to benefit from the concession afforded to Returning Residents, you must satisfy one of the following conditions:

  1. Be a Jamaican national who has attained the age of 18 years, and who
    • has been residing overseas for the last 3 consecutive years, and
    • is returning to Jamaica to reside permanently.

  2. Be a Jamaican student who has attained the age of 18 years and who has studied abroad for more than one year but fewer than 3 consecutive years
  3. Be a Jamaican student who has attained the age of 18 years and who has studied abroad for more than one year but fewer than 3 consecutive years.
  4. Be a Non-Jamaican whose spouse is a Jamaican Returning Resident.
  5. A Deportee who has been residing overseas for the last 3 consecutive years

Note: A couple - husband and wife- will be counted as one family if returned together, and will only get one concession. Spouses not returning together, but within three years of each other, are treated as one family and will also get only one concession.

Documents Required
Returning Residents must visit the Jamaica Customs Agency Returning Residents Unit and submit the following:

  • Valid Jamaican Passport or foreign passport that is endorsed with the unconditional landing stamp
  • Validated Bill of Lading or Airway Bill
  • Taxpayers Registration Number (TRN)
  • Documentary evidence that will substantiate residency outside of Jamaica for 3 or more consecutive years.
  • Returning Students should present a transcript, student’s I-20, confirmation letter of attendance from last institution of study and identification card issued by the institution
  • Deportees should present their Deportation Order and case file.


  • A specified amount of personal and household effects can be imported free of customs duty.
  • Returning Residents may import their tools of trade free of customs duty
  • Returning Students are entitled to import reasonable quantity of used household effects, musical instruments, and one of each type of electronic equipment (new or used) 
  • Deported persons will receive entitlement similar to that of returning residents.

NB: Qualified applicants can benefit only ONCE from this concession

Click here for Entitlement

The Motor Vehicle Importation Policy is primarily administered by the Trade Board Limited, which is responsible for granting Import Licences for motor vehicle importation.

Importation of pets or other animals will require an Import Permit from the Veterinary Services Division of the Ministry Of Agriculture prior to importation.

Importation of plants will require a Permit from the Plant Quarantine Division of the Ministry Of Agriculture.

Returning Resident Unit
Jamaica Customs Agency
Myers’ Wharf, Newport East
Kingston 15
Telephone: (876) 750 3005
(876) 922-5140 extensions 2520 to 25
Jamaica Customs Agency
Montego Bay Revenue Service Centre Bldg
18B Howard Cooke Blvd., Montego Bay, St James
Telephone: 952-0000 extension 2023

Diaspora and Consular Affairs Department
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade
21 Dominica Drive,
Kingston 5
Telephone: 926 4220

Veterinary Services Division
Ministry of Agriculture
Norman Manley International Airport
Telephone: 924-8077 or 924-8079

The Trade Board Limited
10th Floor Air Jamaica Bldg.
72 Harbour St., Kingston
Telephone : 967-0507 or 967-0674


About us

Mission Statement
To facilitate trade, protect our borders, optimise revenue collection, through collaborative border management and delivery of high quality customer services and to develop and maintain a team of motivated professional and competent staff.


Jamaica Customs Agency

Customs House
Myers Wharf,
Newport East, Kingston 15
Phone: 876 922 5140-8 | 922 8770-3

Corporate Office
2-4 King Street, Kingston
Phone: 876 948 5151

Opening Hours
Monday - Thursday: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Friday: 8:00am - 4:00pm

Follow Us      Twitter   Twitter